Plentiful cultural opportunities
Abundant Cultural Activities in Mid Coast Maine
Mid Coast Maine offers a wide variety of cultural activities: symphony and chamber orchestras, live theater, five-star restaurants, seasonal festivals, museums, and more. Some of the finest can be found right here in Brunswick.
In the summer, Brunswick is home to the world-renowned Bowdoin International Music Festival. Every year, festival musicians entertain residents and guests in a series of concerts performed in our grand entrance hall. Bowdoin also hosts the Maine State Music Theatre, known for its Broadway-quality musicals; the company also stages an annual performance at Thornton Oaks.
You may also enjoy attending performances at Portland Stage, the Portland Symphony Orchestra, or the Midcoast Symphony Orchestra, comprised of talented local musicians, performing nearby and providing ensembles for special events.
Other Common Outings and Activities for Thornton Oaks’ Residents
- Portland Museum of Art
- Maine Maritime Museum
- Bowdoin College Museum of Art
- Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens
- Farnsworth Art Museum
- Peabody Essex Museum (Salem)
- Harvard Art Museums
- Colby College Museum of Art
- Art shows at Thornton Oaks
- Met Opera Regal Cinema
- Historical biographical lectures
- Foreign Affairs lecture luncheons
- Bowdoin Talks and Performances
- Curtis Memorial Library Summer and Winter Wisdom Lecture Series
- Trips to Trader Joes, Whole Foods, Micucci Grocery Italian Imports
- Shopping and dining trips to Bath, Yarmouth, Freeport, Portland, and Topsham, as well as in Brunswick
Easy Transportation to Cultural Events
We make it easy. The Thornton Oaks shuttle will bring you to the door and pick you up after the event is over. The shuttle makes trips to Portland and other nearby towns, to local restaurants, and to attractions around Maine.